LAVENDER NEST

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Country Girl


At heart, I am a country girl [that appreciates the finer things imported from city life] and that's exactly how I honored my special day this past weekend. Having just been back from the city, I was in need of wide open fields, flowers, and some barnyard animals. 


There was a point when I was strolling around, at my own pace, snapping pictures and taking it all in, that I realized how far I've come in a few short months since making some big decisions on how to care for myself. 


I've learned self-care is a lot more than what I put into my body, it's also about feeding the mind and soul on a daily basis with what will fuel it and that there is no template for this. It's been an amazing journey re-learning what I thought I knew about caring for me.  


As the journey continues, I am more quickly able to identify what depletes my energy, fills me up and what I need on a daily basis to not just survive the day, but thrive. For so long, I was in survival mode, trying to make it from one day to the next, not able to consistently be energized and truly happy.  


At this point I wouldn't say I mastered it, but in the spirit of being gentle, I am gaining ground every single day towards 'glowing' and being 'nourished' in more ways than one [two of my 2013 words]. 


It was such a gift to see and feel these changes on my birthday. A day that had no other numerical significance or meaning than the one I gave it. Between this and being surrounded by family, friends, animals and places that I love, it was all more than I dared to dream for. 


As I blew out the candles on my whole food, utterly delicious key lime pie, I found myself deliberately wishing for more than I ever have before. Wish, after wish, after wish. 

Thinking big. Dreaming big. Now that's where it's at. 


1 comment: